Thursday, May 18, 2006

A stretched out birthday


Tuesday night at Tangled Threads we celebrated my friend Peggy's and my birthdays. We were late because of my being in Texas and because Peggy doesn't get to meetings very often any more. The cake was Seventh Heaven from JaCiva's - incredible! (Click on "Cakes and Tortes", then click on the fourth cake down in the right column of cake pictures.) Just looking at the picture will make you drool! Chocolate cake with white chocolate cream filling. To die for!

We've been giving each other fabrics for birthdays for many years now. It's supposed to be a yard, but lots of people go overboard. I asked for "spring fabrics". Isn't it interesting to see how they interpreted "spring". The bottom row is "Rites of Spring" by Jan Patek - very pretty for those who like primitive but not at all what most people would call "spring. The next row up includes five fat quarters of florals. Very pretty! The next row up is soft pastel florals and prints - this person must have looked into my head because that's what I was thinking of when I made the request. (I'd just completed my shopping spree with Cher and had brought home a whole collection of soft pastel fabrics.) The next group is two half yards of wonderful bright stripes. The top collection is florals and prints that make me think of Monet - all in blues and yellows because that's her favorite color combination. Every group different - I think that is so interesting!

Our weather has cooled just a little - high 80's the last couple days. Today it's sunny and beautiful again, with a high of 80 predicted. Tomorrow starts cooler weather with some showers predicted - so much better. It doesn't take much to dry out my webbed feet! I guess I'd better head to the shower. I went right back to sleep after I turned off the alarm this morning - I guess I was really tired. So I'll be late to work. Not a problem, thank goodness, as I've been putting in some LONG hours since getting back from Texas.

************
1. Cooler sunny weather
2. A slice of Seventh Heaven with very rich vanilla ice cream
3. Unexpected visit from all our kids yesterday.
4. The new Quilt Sampler magazine - a winner!
5. Our neighbor's golden chain tree in full bloom outside the computer room window.

************

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting to see the different interpretations of "springy." Often that's what happens in block swaps -- a wide spectrum.
Lovely gratitudes!
Jeanne :)

Anonymous said...

Even though all are different they are also all gorgeous. What a wonderful birthday gift to each other, a whole yard!

Anonymous said...

My idea of a birthday present. I love the Rites of Spring line. I had to buy some even though I am trying very hard not to buy anything!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your son's job... AND your birthday, AND the fabric gifts, AND the cooler weather!

Sounds like you DO have a lot to be thankful for. :)

Anonymous said...

fantastic news about your son's job-what a relief I know that must be. Happy belated birthday and what a great collection of fun fabrics to play with!

Anonymous said...

Your son's news and the kids coming by unexpectedly surely have made up for your not being home on the actual bday?

Sounds like the Tangled Threads know how to party! Nice fabric though "loosely" spring.

Anonymous said...

Well I love the Rites of Sping - that is about as springy as I get! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, that IS a big variation on "Spring" fabrics! How fun to get an assortment for your birthday. Happy birthday! And Yippee! that your son got a job - that is good news.

Cheers!

Evelyn