Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekend accomplishment


I took a break from current projects this weekend. I had the urge to sew scraps and make what I've come to think of as a "Finn type quilt". I really had the urge to empty some of my plastic shoe boxes of scraps. So I took the boxes of half square triangles and half square triangle squares off the shelf and started making Broken Dishes blocks. I'm going to do this in somewhat of a medallion style and make it big enough for our bed. Lots and lots of little multicolored calicos plus some solid fabrics here - nothing that I'd use for projects today. I think these scraps have been aging for at least 15 years and probably more! This was so much fun I had a terrible time stopping to go to bed last night. I totally emptied one box and almost emptied two more. All I have left in those two is about a dozen 2 1/2" squares in one and a dozen or so 3 1/2" squares in the other. I'm working on the fourth box now, which is full almost to overflowing of half square triangles cut at 2 5/8". What was I thinking? Obviously I cut them as big as the scraps were. After sewing these I'll trim them down a little to 2 1/2" - perfect for the current project.

Now I have to get ready for work. Really, really hard when all I want to do is sew!

************
Gratitudes:

1. A cool night that lowered the temperature in the house.
2. Kids with air conditioning who live very close.
3. A safe arrival in Kalamazoo Michigan for my husband.
4. My vacation starts later this week!
5. Birds singing outside my window

************

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo -- scrapbustin'!!!!!
Jeanne :)

Anonymous said...

Well Patti, if you could see all the way up here to WI, you'd see me grinning from ear to ear..*VBG* Not because I inspired you(but that's great too) but because of how much you are enjoying it!!! You totally get "it", and I'm thrilled. Is such great mindless fun to play and create with fabric without a rule in sight. I love the planned quilts, the intense hard work labor of love quilts, but oh, to get to play....that is the best thing possible sometimes. My hat is OFF to you!!! That is an awesome amount of containers to empty..high fives girl! Hugs, Finn

Anonymous said...

Cute, I like look.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What fun. I have HST's in bags sitting around also with ideas of things I want to do with them. Hope that urge hits me someday soon!

Anonymous said...

I love playing with scraps! This weekend I also spent time working in my scrap boxes and cutting them down to 2" squares for a quilt I want to do. Fun!

Anonymous said...

I love working on "Finn" style quilts also, it looks great!

Anonymous said...

Awesome quilt, you had fun, and to think, it will keep someone warm one day--- with no stress..
Have a great week.

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Hi, Patti !

I LOVE your scrap work ! It really, really inspires me. Broken dishes is one of my favourite patterns for a scrap quilt. I understand you usually cut your squares at 2.5 inches ??

(you can answer me on my blog - if you've got some spare time ).

This was the first time I visited your blog : I will come back, for sure, soooo nice !

(I also posted another comment about your quilts on our common group Primfolkapplique2)

Anonymous said...

Great stash busting! I bet it feels great to empty those totes! Now there is room for more fabric!

Anonymous said...

This looks terrific, Patti! Lots of quilt history spotting this piece and that.

Anonymous said...

Patti,
WOW...that is fun! Love it! Great job!
Hugs
Laurie

Anonymous said...

WOW! That quilt looks impressive for freebee scraps that have been aging as long as they have. (So what are you going to put in those boxes...)

Anonymous said...

Wow, great job- and so fast too!

Anonymous said...

Yippee for emptying scrap containers! Broken Dishes is such a great pattern for the everything goes scrap pile! It looks great!!!

I like to use those containers for a WIP - I put everything in there including all the fabrics and copy of the pattern.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Wow Patty!! You did some major damage to your stash bins it sounds like..and ended up with a really cool quilt! Fabulous job! :o)

Anonymous said...

My favourite kind of quilt - you just never know how they're going to turn out, I really like it.

Anonymous said...

Your scrap busting quilt looks so good. You are also very good with keeping up with your BOMs. I am looking forward to see more of them.

Anonymous said...

Sometime a good oneblock quilt just feels good! Congrats on yours.
Siobhan

Anonymous said...

I love scrap quilts - this one looks great.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful scrappy quilt. (Can I have it?) It always amazes me how a bunch of random scraps put together makes such a striking picture. And on top of it, you enjoyed the process!
Have a great vacation.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks so nice, and all from scraps.