Thursday, July 6, 2006

We had a wonderful time . . . .

Camping with our kids this past weekend - even though the weather was too hot. I got up at 5:00 a.m. last Friday so I could finish packing and do the food shopping before picking up Fred at the airport just before 11:00. We were on the road by 12:30 and at the campsite by 2:00. Our little "home away from home" takes very little time to set up, so we were in our camp chairs relaxing in no time at all. Rebecca and Rick arrived about 30 minutes after we did - delayed by having to get a new battery put in their CRV. Jeremy and Chelsea arrived a little after 8:00 that evening, as they both had to work a normal day. We played lots of games, waded the river, walked the campground, and got in some reading. We didn't eat meals as planned because it was so hot no one wanted to cook hot food for dinner. So it was sandwiches, fruit, salad, cookies and chips all weekend. Saturday was the only day anyone wanted more than oatmeal or cereal and juice for breakfast. That made it really easy for the cook! I even got in some stitching - finishing all but two of the appliqué blocks for It's a Wonderful Life. Usually I'm the photographer, but I gave the camera to Rebecca on Saturday morning so she could get some shots for me to post. I'm doing bacon and eggs for those who wanted them - very casual in that I just passed around the bacon as it was done. I don't think we ever all sat down together at the table for a meal - instead staying in the comfortable chairs and eating as it took our fancy. Lots of together time playing Yatzee, Sequence, Mille Bournes, 31, dominoes, and other games. Both sets of kids brought huge totes of games from home so we didn't even get out the ones we keep in the trailer.

I savored every minute of this vacation. I'm heading back to work relaxed and rested - just what I wanted. Also with a new determination to think twice and thrice before spending money so I can push up my retirement date as much as possible. I know there will be lots to catch up on when I get to work this morning - that's OK. I think I'm ready to focus again. Besides, in two days it'll be the weekend!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your family bunches.Cute pics!!!Back to the grindstone - work. Yeah, it's not our life, but what we do to have one....
Melanie

Anonymous said...

SOunds like a fun time was had by all! (I too am thinking twice & thrice about spending...) A relaxing vacation - that would be a new one for me! :o)

Anonymous said...

Everybody looks relaxed in those pics but the cook so we have to assume you got your share of lounge chair time later, LOL.

You might have been working on your "wonderful life" blocks but those pics show you were living it too.

Short work week and already behind just by taking off--worth it though if your batteries are recharged.

Anonymous said...

love the camping life...glad you were able to relax so much! yes, retirement can not come soon enough!

Anonymous said...

I love camping! Looks like you all had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had fun. I haven't camped since I was a kid. With 6 kids ALL our vacations were camping.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun, and fun to play all those games!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great time! We play lots of board games in our family too. Sequence is great!

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun. We used to camp in a pop up like that, and one time I fell out the side, how no one knows, guess the snaps gave way, well i never woke up, slept on the ground in my sleeping bag all night next to the dog !

Anonymous said...

How fun to play games with your family. Sounds like a relaxing weekend.

Anonymous said...

Just a question... if you were so hot all weekend, why are you wearing a sweatshirt in the pictures? Was it buggy?

Anonymous said...

Now, THAT is a vacation! What wonderful pictures!

Anonymous said...

What fun camp pictures! Oh it looks so relaxing! And the games you played are some of my favorites! 31 and Sequence are always big ones in my house, and another one is Skip-Bo. My kids favorite is Phase 10 - I just get too far behind in that game!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Spending time outside camping is sooo relaxing - I am glad that you are feeling better. And, so nice that you were all together and had fun.

Cheers!

Evelyn