Sunday, October 15, 2006

A productive weekend

But so far not as productive as I'd hoped. I wanted to get started quilting the massive auction quilt but now it's Sunday afternoon and I'm currently "fluffing" the batting in the dryer. The backing is on the machine, but since I had to use a kingsize batting - the batting on the roll isn't nearly wide enough - I had to get out all the wrinkles from being rolled so tightly in the plastic cover. While I'm waiting I'm trying to get the rest of the decorations put up - they've been sitting on the dining room table since last weekend.

I've finished the last appliqué block for Heirloom Stitches so I'm all caught up with that until the next installment comes. I pieced the two October blocks for the mystery quilt and prepped the appliqué block. It's very simple - just an oak leaf and a star - so it won't take long to do. That will catch me up on that one. I have the binding on the Quilt Pink quilt stitched on by machine and just waiting for the hand stitching. I also have a few fabrics chosen for the appliqué hearts. I've started a pile of things in the corner of the living room - all ready to pack into the car to take to the retreat. So far the pile includes the basket of Mistletoe Manor fabrics, pattern and freezer paper for the Warm Hearts quilt so I can prep some blocks, the basket of fabrics for my medallion quilt so I can make the flying geese for the last round before the next class, my mystery quilt appliqué, the quilt pink quilt, and the fabrics for the three dimensional flowers that go on my border for the auction quilt. That's a pretty good start I think. I still have to pack up the machine, all my rulers and cutting tools, my good chair, my string quilt stuff, and all the other stuff I know I'll decide at the last minute that I need to take.

I really need the break this retreat will provide - I can't wait! This retreat is with my PINS pals - Phenominal Internet Northwest Stitchers. Some of you may remember me talking about the spring retreat last March. We all met on the Internet on Pat Sloan's yahoo group, and have been getting together twice a year for the last three years. It's going to be so good to see them again and catch up on what everyone is doing. We are renting a "quilt house" in Coos Bay, Oregon. I have to do Friday dinner but that's it for cooking. I'm going to do a nummy crock pot soup of some kind, a salad, and good crusty bakery bread.

I hear the dryer buzzing - I'd better go get back to work.

************
Gratitudes:

1. A good drink for the flowers and lawn from the rain.
2. Hobbs Heirloom batting - my favorite!
3. Fresh grapes and bananas
4. Silk flowers and garlands that look almost real
5. Dolls and teddy bears - old friends brought out from the attic

************

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've done an incredible amount! It makes me tired just reading about it... lol

I like your two applique leaf blocks too.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a productive weekend! And the retreat with good friends, just the thing to recharge your soul!

I gotta get my sewing machine out again...itching to do a little machine work again!

Anonymous said...

So busy! Have a fun weekend away - I'd love to do something like that.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding weekend! Have a wonderful time at your retreat...sounds like you will be very busy...but fun busy!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time at your retreat,. I look forward to doing that one day. Our guild is having one starting the 23 of this month, but I can't go this time.

Anonymous said...

Wow you did make good progress! I made some progress on tons of odds and ends this weekend too - but nothing really to "show". But I felt good!

Anonymous said...

Your retreat sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I like the nice variety of projects you are taking to work on. You never know what you'll be in the mood for, right *s*

Anonymous said...

Well it certainly sounds as if you are all caught up in the projects! It gets hard to keep all the BOM projects up to date, for me at least sometimes!

I can't wait to see what you get done at the retreat!!

Anonymous said...

Love your gratitudes today. Your quilting adventure sounds fun. One of these days...Great blocks.

Anonymous said...

Oh Patti have fun on your retreat, I just love going to retreats. What is better then good friends, good food, good conversation and getting a little quilting done along with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti, wow! your blocks look great. You do such nice applique!!
And it sounds to me as if you got ALOT done!!! A retreat is sooooo wonderful. Any excuse to get together with quilters and laugh and eat and talk! It'll be a blast for sure. Hugs, Finn