Sunday, June 24, 2007

Out of chaos . . . a little less chaos!

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted! I've spent the last few days on the computer in a valiant effort to catch up with my blog reading. Hasn't happened, but at least I'm not as far behind as I was.

The little sewing I've gotten done involved stitching my chaos of block parts into larger pieces - working toward my goal of having everything fit together into large 12" blocks. I matched things according to their sizes, not paying any attention to whether or not fabrics "went" with each other. I subscribe to Sharon Craig's believe that everything goes with everything, so the only rule I used is that the two pieces couldn't be exactly the same color. What fun I had playing with all these pieces! I'm still not ready to start designing with them - they are still too varied in size - but I'm getting closer. I threw lots of them up on the design wall again for a new picture - I really love what I'm seeing! I'm going to allow myself only a couple hours today to play with these, as I have other things I need to finish first.

My friend Kim loved the way I quilted the African quilt I'm happy to say. She disagreed with my believe that I'm not ready to do elaborate feather wreaths on her quilt, but accepted my decision. She gave it back to me so I could baste it for her - she's decided she will hand quilt it instead. I have it on the machine and it shouldn't take me more than an hour or so to put in the basting stitches. I can do that during the ball game today.

I also have a quilt repair job that I need to do. I totally forgot about this one when I happily stated that I had nothing left here that wasn't my own. I've had this one for a year or two - it's time I finished it and returned it to the owner. I belongs to our son-in-law's sister, and was made by her grandmother. It's warn very thin over some of the back, and some of the patches on the front have worn partially away. I need to applique new pieces over the front patches and then do what I can for the back. It may need to have an entirely new back - I've not yet decided. The backing is turned to the front for the binding so putting a new backing over the old one won't be that much trouble. I don't have any fluffy pink yarn to tie a new backing, which is how it finished now, so I'll have to figure out something else for the ties. I've committed to finishing it by the end of the month, so I need to get started today.

Thursday we celebrated our 38th anniversary in a very quiet way - dinner at Applebees and then an evening at home watching Felix pitch a great game in a Mariners defeat of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Felix, our staff ace, hasn't been himself since he came off the disabled list so it was great to see him pitch well again.

Yesterday we had all the kids here to celebrate our daughter's 33rd birthday - which is today. I woke up with the realization that I'd forgotten to order the ice cream cake - horrors! Luckily I've been getting our "cakes" from the same Baskin Robbins for years, and the owner is a fellow quilter and guild member, so she did a rush order for me and I was able to pick it up when we returned home after dinner. It was a very nice visit - even though Sophie has now reached the age where she doesn't want to be held by anyone other than Mama or Daddy. By the end of the day she warmed up a little so I was able to get a quick snuggle with a happy girl instead of a protesting one. I'll be happy when this stage ends!

OK - that's enough rambling from me. As I have lots of plans for the day I guess I'd better get in the shower so I can start being productive!

************
Gratitudes:
1. Jelly rolls, jolly packs, and charm packs
2. Ten pounds lost!
3. Warm rain for the garden
4. Summer vacation for DH
5. Hot tea with milk

************

5 comments:

Libby said...

You are definitely keeping busy! I love your 'chaos' blocks-proving once again that everything DOES go with everything...

Sweet P said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you're feeling better now.

Isn't it fun to just play with blocks? I did some playing on my retreat last weekend and really enjoyed the process.

Joanne said...

Happy Anniversary!
And Congrats on the 10 pound loss!
Funny the stages the little ones go through -- sometimes they run right to you, others they play the shy child. But, so much fun anyway when they're grandkids!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi happy anniversary!
The 10,000th visitor was definitely me, I can just feel it!
I love seeing a little chaos in your sewing room-no-one can cope with full organization all the time! Your mixed quilt looks like heaps of fun, can't wait to see how it turns out! tracey

Tanya said...

Happy Anniversary! and Happy Birthday!
I'm getting bogged down in blog reading too, but I think of all my favorite blogs sitting there waiting for me! Looks like you've been doing lots of interesting things!