Sunday, December 23, 2007

Cinnamon Rolls

Home made cinnamon rolls have been a tradition at our house for years and years. My mother baked them, and then taught me when I was about 10 or so. The recipe she used was from a very old Fleishmann's recipe booklet. It was in black and white, no pictures, and talked about scalding and straining the milk. Mom had already adapted it when she taught me, as it was no longer necessary to heat and strain the milk. She made these at Christmas for sure, and several other times during the year. Sometimes she shaped them as Swedish Tea Rings - my father was a full Swede - and now and then in the shape of a Christmas tree. Neighbors would be given some for their Christmas breakfasts.
My father was a true craftsman - a sheet metal mechanic. Hundreds of schools, restaurants and hospitals throughout the northwest had sheet metal kitchens made by my father. My father made mom's cinnamon roll pans, and then made me some when I became engaged. This recipe makes 32 rolls, which fit perfectly into two pans.

Soften together:
  • 2 pkgs. yeast
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 c. warm water
Mix then add to above:
  • 1/2 c. evaporated milk
  • 1/2 c. very warm water
  • 1 tsp. salt
Stir in 3 cups stirred flour

Beat together well, then add to above:
  • 6 tbsp. butter (REAL butter)
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 eggs
Add about 4 more cups of flour and mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.

I add about 3 1/4 more cups of flour, reserving the last 3/4 cup flour for the bread board. I use a pastry cloth. I rub about half of the reserved flour into the cloth, then dump the dough onto the board. Knead, adding more flour as necessary. (The humidity in the room will affect how much flour is needed.) The dough should be smooth and shiny. 4-5 minutes of kneading should do it - it doesn't take nearly as much as regular bread does.

Oil a large bowl. Shape the dough into a large ball, put it in the bowl, then turn around until surface of dough is oiled. Cover with a damp cloth and keep in a warm place to rise. (I put mine on the bathroom counter, turn the heat way up and then close the door.) When double in size punch it down. Let rise until double in size again.

Flour your pastry cloth covered breadboard again as necessary. Punch down dough and turn onto cloth. Shape into a rectangle with your hands, and then roll dough into a large rectangle. Roll until it's about 1/4" thick. It's about 20" x 24".

Melt butter - REAL butter - about 1/2 cup. Spread it over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the dough with sugar and then cinnamon. I've no idea of the amounts. I just try to cover the dough with a thin layer of each. Roll up the dough, starting at one long edge. Pinch it shut, and turn the roll so the pinched spot is next to the breadboard. Cut into slices of about 3/4", and lay slices in an oiled pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double.

Bake in 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until brown. I always set the timer for 15 minutes, then switch the pans so the bottom one is on the top rack. If I'm giving them for gifts or freezing them I take them out about 5 minutes early, so they don't get too brown when they are reheated in the oven before serving.

Make a glaze from powdered sugar and evaporated milk. I usually start with 2 cups sugar, then add milk until desired consistency. Beat well to make sure there are no lumps. Increase the amount of glaze if you want very sweet rolls - or make a cream cheese frosting for them. Drizzle the glaze over the rolls as soon as they are removed from the oven.
Currents or raisins can also be rolled inside, as can chopped nuts. My mom used to decorate them with red and green candied cherries at Christmas, but I don't as my family doesn't like them.

Somewhere in the process - I think it was when I was shaping the rolls - I forgot to put my apron back on. I laughed when I happened to look down at myself. I couldn't resist poking fun at myself by having Fred take a picture to post.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

Kristie said...

My mouth is watering! Those look soooooo good. I will have to try those myself.
Kristie

tami said...

Those look sooo yummy. My mom had a friend who made a batch for us every Christmas for breakfast. She stopped a few years ago and my children have really missed them. I suppose I will have to start making them for us. :cD

Anonymous said...

I wanted this recipe badly when I read your earlier post - THANKYOU!!

CONNIE W said...

They look YUMMY! Haven't made them in years but perhaps now I will. Merry Christmas to you.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Your's look yummy! I either have food stains or threads, take your pick!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

cityquilter grace said...

patti, they DO look scrumptions...BTW, I have a DD Rebecca too, also born in 1974 (June).....what a coincidence! and I love your tree skirt too!

merry christmas to you and your family..

cityquilter

Holly said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe. The best part (after eating them of course) is not having to knead for very long.

I love your triple irish chain tree skirt and the story behind it!

Merry Christmas, Patti!

Susan said...

They smell so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Perhaps one year I will really bake at Christmas.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

His Office, My Studio said...

Yum Yum!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sure looks yummy! My husband makes something similar for us on Christmas morning.
Merry Christmas!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, Patti, that is interesting about how you and your mother have handcrafted baking pans made by your dad. Thank you for posting that recipe, yum. Merry Christmas!

Nines said...

Merry Christmas!! We love cinnamon rolls, too!! Yummy!

Tazzie said...

Ohhh yum! They look entirely wonderful. You know, I look like that every time I get busy in the kitchen!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Lily Mulholland said...

Ooooh yummy Patti!! So glad you had a lovely Christmas. I just love Regency novels too :) P&P by Jane A is my all-time fave :)

The Calico Cat said...

O.K. I am now officially starving!

Leslie said...

What a great post. It brought back such fun memories of my paternal grandmother's cinnamon rolls. She'd visit us once or twice a year and bake a double batch, every pan and casserole in the house was filled. And she made the same sugar 'drizzle' as we called it. I tried to carry on the tradition when we were first married, but they never tasted the same. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :D