Thursday, December 13, 2007

So much for resolutions . . . .

I've been so good this year. I pledged to myself and my readers that this year would be the year of the UFO's and scraps. Other than Joseph's quilt and the mid-century album quilt I pledged to start no new projects except for those that used strips, squares, triangles, etc. in my scrap boxes. For over eleven months I stuck by my pledge in spite of many temptations. I kept my focus on my goals.

So here I am - December 13th - and I've caved in. From every side I see people doing Bonnie's mystery. Everyone is talking about it. Friends are urging me to play along. I resisted. For two weeks I resisted. But I could feel myself weakening inside. I tried to be strong - tough - and all along my inside of marshmallow jello was quivering and shivering and caving in.

So I'm going to rationalize here - make excuses - tell myself it's OK. I pulled out my 1 1/2" strip bin and pulled out all the lights. Then I went with reds and blues - not because Bonnie is using them but because there were more strips in those two colors than any others. I don't have nearly enough strips - I'm going to have to cut a bunch more - but I'm telling myself that's OK. After all, my shelves have more red and blue fabric on them than any other color. I'm stretching the limits - some of the blues are so dark as to be almost black. Some definitely lean towards turquoise and teal. But they are still blue. Some of the reds are so dark that they really don't contrast well - but since I have a strip or two already cut from those reds then those strips will be used. So - I'm only half breaking my promise - I am using up strips from the bins. So how is that for rationalization?

Tonight I sewed together most of the already cut strips and finished about 24 rail fence blocks. I can already tell I may have to cut more strips just to reach 100 pieces for this first step. No matter. I'm having fun, I'm eager to proceed, and best of all I should have plenty of time to catch up. After all, there are only 9 more working days until retirement!

22 comments:

antique quilter said...

oh I am so happy that your playing along!
If you need I could send you some strips....
HEY this is better than ordering fabric its ok !!!!
Another wonderful quilt from your stash!
Kathie

Jenni said...

I think it all sounds very virtuous - the words scraps, strips, stash were all in there, so I think it is allowed. 9 days til retirement!! How can you control yourself?

Carol said...

Why Patti, I think it's a good thing...while you are starting a new project...you are using tons of scraps and stash. I'm counting with you...you are going to love being retired. I'm not sure how I worked for all those years. :-)

Libby said...

Seems to me that you have not caved . . you are using the pieces you already had . . . can you be faulted because a pattern calls for more than you have? I think not *s*

Darlene said...

Don't fret - just relax and enjoy!
:-)

Jeanne said...

You did terrific making it this long! I think the mystery quilt is irristible and you're using stash, right? Glad you are joining the group.

Karen (Misiz C) said...

Oh yay! You've joined us. I can understand your struggle to resist this temptation. I had those same discussions with myself...(LOL - occasionally out loud) but the opportunity to work along with Bonnie AND use up stash won me over.

I love the eye you have for scrappy quilts...I can't wait to watch yours come together.

Melinda said...

Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated :) I'm glad to see you're playing along.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well good! Have fun with it! Besides not many more days now and you'll have all kinds of time!

Unknown said...

If it is fun, it can´t be bad. Enjoy ,relax and take pleasure in the beauty you are creating from STASH! Take care.

atet said...

Have fun -- and you ARE using up scraps and strips from the bins after all!

Helen in the UK said...

I wasn't going to start until January, but the enthusiasm of everyone on Bonnie's list and in blogland got me stitching too! Great start :)

Judy said...

I'm not playing, but I am following along!

Michele Bilyeu said...

All I am reading is comments from others who give in to temptation, rationalize, only half way break their fabric diets and only half way break their resolutions. Your names are legion and your name is quilter. They don't call us obsessive compulsive and addicts for nothing!

Pam said...

I was thinking of joining in the quilt but I know for sure I don't have enough 1 1/2 inch strips. Maybe during my Christmas break I might see if I can catch up!

Your Christmas tree is just beautiful!!

Cheryl said...

I think I might have to give this a try!

Tazzie said...

How fun that you're joining in. I know you'll have fun. Your blocks are looking just lovely already.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

KC Quilter said...

I'm feeling myself "caving" too! I have printed off all the directions for January LOL. Hey, January 4th is getting closer... So happy for you.

Lucy said...

Love to see that you are sewing on yoru featherweight. Boy I'm so in love with that machine :-))

Shelina said...

It is absolutely okay to work on the mystery quilt. It is more fun when you do a mystery with others. You have been working on your other quilts all year, and it isn't like you are abandoning them. You're just giving them a little rest.

Hanne said...

I am not joining in right now, but I enjoyed to read you are - and I am looking forward to see your result :-)
You have been ever so good this year - time for a quilting reward, don't you think :-)

Sweet P said...

I can follow your rationalization. Works for me. I have most of my fabric packed away or I might be tempted play along too.