Friday, April 11, 2008

Checkerboards and Mountains

That's what Eileen calls the border that I chose for the next round of my medallion. I thought the checkerboards nicely echoed the squares surrounding the center, and the mountains were paired with the checkerboards in her instructions. I like them and probably would have chosen them even if they hadn't been included because the triangle shapes echo those in the flying geese border. I have sewn all the checkerboards together but the mountains are just placed onto the design wall. I will sew them tomorrow - right now I'm heading upstairs to watch the Mariners beat - I say that very hopefully - the Angels. My Mariners haven't done very well so far this year - hopefully they can start doing better now that they are back home.


It was really fun to work with all these fabrics again today. They are so different from what most of us think of as 1800's fabrics. So much brighter, more colorful and exuberant than the fabrics from the 1840's on. I never would have identified most of these as reproductions, but have Eileen's expert assurance that everything I've placed in my pre-1830's basket is representative of that era. I used this as a great excuse for shopping - especially loading up on any fabric with "Sturbridge Village" in the title as Eileen told us that entire line was authentic reproductions. So of course I have enough fabric in the basket for at least three or four more pre-1830's quilts!

After the mountains are sewn together and sewn to the checkerboards I will have only a couple more steps left. Cornerstone blocks for this round must be chosen and constructed. Then the outer chintz border strips sewn on. Doesn't sound like all that much - maybe I can finish tomorrow. Sunday for sure!

8 comments:

Nines said...

WOW!! What a lot of fun!

Val said...

Beautiful. Just Beautiful. I will be back to visit soon.

Stacy A. said...

Patti, Watching you take this class is fascinating. How the style of fabric and quilt changed over the ages. How quilts, fabric and sewing have gone from a necesity and luxury as well, to what it is today. It is great you are getting to take the classes for all the ages. Your Dear Jane blocks are lovely. Are you doing the whole thing in reds and pinks? I can't wait to see more! Love Stacy

Three Birds Inspired said...

This quilt is going to be a show stopper! I am enjoying watching your progress.

Those Mariners can be heartbreakers!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a great quilt. Very inspirational...just the thing that's getting my creative thoughts going.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

This is super!

Michelle said...

I love your medallion quilt...it's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Kim said...

I didn't realize the Sturbridge Village lines were pre 1830's repros. I do know that I like a lot of them though! Thanks for passing on the info! Love your quilt!