Thursday, July 17, 2008

Here is my finished project. This is the little quilt top that was lost for several months. I started this project in a class with René Plains in 2004. The pattern was published in the April 2002 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. I wasn't all that thrilled with the top when I finished it - too few fabrics were used to suit my love of scrappy quilts. However, now that I'm finished with it I really like it. Amazing how quilting brings life to a flat quilt top! I quilted this with Cebelia, a heavy thread often used for crochet, using a stitch sized about half way between a regular quilting stitch and "big stitch" utility quilting. Because the quilt is small I thought regular "big stitch" would be a bit big proportionally. Peg's given me an award for this completion - thanks Peg! This leaves me three to go for the challenge.

Tonight I continued working on Carolina Crossroads. I'm so eager to cross this one off my unfinished tops list, as doing so will complete that list. There sure is a lot of sewing in this top! I chose the same colors as Bonnie did, because I had more red and blue in my strip drawers than any other colors. I like how it is turning out. This will probably become another quilt for the camper - we discovered last weekend that we need a second quilt for cold nights.

Tomorrow I must call a halt to my own projects long enough to quilt a customer quilt. She needs it back in time to get it ready to enter in the county fair - where in the world is July going? I can't believe it's past the middle of the month already!

I bought a new quilting tool a few days ago. I used to buy every new tool I saw - and so many of them were never used. I seldom buy them now, but this is one I just had to try. Sometimes the arthritis in my hands makes it very hard to hold the ruler steady when rotary cutting. I've also cut slices off the index finger of my left hand twice with the cutter - the first time requiring several stitches. So when I read raves reviews about the Gypsy Gripper I decided to try it. Here you see it locked onto my 6 1/2" x 24 1/2" ruler, which I used to cut binding strips for the little René Plains quilt. This gripper is marvelous! It was so easy to hold the ruler in place, and there was no way it was moving at all while I was cutting. I really recommend this tool if you ever have trouble holding your rulers. Now I can't wait to get the small size for my smaller rulers.

Gratitudes:
1. A wonderful day with Joseph
2. Cooler weather today
3. Another 1.6 pounds lost, for a total of 3.6
4. A nice dinner out with my DH

13 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Patti I just love your Carolina Crossroads quilt...

Sharon said...

Love your little wallhanging. The quilting just made it come alive! And I like your "medium"-stitch!

I saw that gripper gadget last time I was in a quilt shop and was dubious. I'm also trying to stop buying so many tools. I have arthritis in my hands too, and if it really helps, that would be good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous said...

Oh,
I love all those quilts. You do so very well. The new ruler looks fantastic. Two years ago I hurt myself so much with the rotary cutter. I cut off a big piece of the forefinger on my left hand. It was very bad and I had pain for months. Now everything is ok, but I can´t forget that accident. Here in Germany I looked around if there is a "thing" to protect the left hand while cutting the fabric. I think you new ruler is a very good idea. Where did you buy it?
Have a nice weekend! It´s always a pleasure to look at your blog!!!
Sabine

sewprimitive karen said...

The quilting is so pretty, had to study it in "big size" for awhile :-).

Teresa said...

Nice job on the applique and the strip quilt. I keep thinking I will try the quiltling with the bigger stitch, but have not done it yet. I have the gypsy qripper too given to me recently as a gift, but have not tried it yet. Glad to hear you like yours so well.

Carol said...

Patti congrats on another finish...love your Carolina Crossroads...can never go wrong with a red, white and blue quilt. Thanks for the review of the Gypsy Gripper...I've seen them and wondered if they were really as good as they say.

dot said...

You havve been busy. All looks great. The ruler gripper is interesting. Have a good day.

Paula said...

I really love your little quilt. I think it's great. I do love the changes each step brings: the borders, then the quilting and finally the binding. So cute.

Tine said...

Your red and blue quilt is beautiful! So is the applique. I just found your blog via Lily's blog... You do beautiful work, I can certainly see why she nominated you for an award :-)

Julie said...

The quilt is great! I feel your pain, I have sliced off the end of a finger too. Ouch!!

Unknown said...

Love your little quilt and the Carolina Crossroads. I love anything red/white and blue!

I want one of those ruler handles! It looks just like the handle I bought at Linens and Things last winter when my Dad was here. He has trouble getting in and out of the tub (sounds like that commercial). It really grips whatever you stick it on! Now, I really want to buy another one for my rulers!

Anonymous said...

I love your Carolina Crossroads but it does look like a lot of work! I'm going to put that one on my "to do" list. I just bought a Gypsy Gripper today as I sliced my finger and nail 2 weeks ago. I never want to do that again! Nancy in WI

Tanya said...

Your Carolina Crossroads is delightful! Yes, it looks like a lot of sewing but it is sure to turn out a winner!