Tuesday, March 3, 2009

More of what I've been up to

Soon after writing my February goals I decided they just didn't appeal to me any more. And I needed something new to do during Joseph's naps. I decided to do one EQ lesson per nap. Well, in no time at all was I totally addicted, and spent almost every waking moment at the beginning of February playing with EQ and working through the lessons in both the User Manual and EQ6 Simplified.

I loaded the second of three postage stamp quilts onto the longarm near the end of the second week of February. I did about four rows of a simple pantograph before going to bed that night. I didn't get back to it the next day - Valentine's Day - because I drove up to Longview in the morning to my favorite shop - Momma Made It - for the start of their Jo's Little Women's Club. I've been collecting the Little Women's Club patterns since the beginning, and was thrilled that a local shop finally decided to offer the club. Then in the afternoon we all loaded into the CRV and headed south for Sophie's second birthday celebration .

The next day - Sunday - I got sick with a bad virus. I talked to Rebecca and she was sick also. I'm pretty sure we got it from Joseph - who was sick only 3 days. That was over 2 weeks ago now, and neither of us are completely well. Rick got sick about 3 days later, and Fred managed to fight it off until last week. This was a bad virus - absenteeism was over 40% for over a week in several of the local school districts. Some grade schools in Vancouver had absenteeism reaching almost 60%. I know we got our flu shots in the fall - as did many others - but this obviously was something not covered by the vaccine.

So . . . for two weeks I didn't do much other than sit in a chair and do handwork. Funny - most of what I finished had been January goals that I'd not finished that I decided not to list for February. Last weekend I managed to finish quilting and bind the postage stamp quilt so I had one finish to list for February. I've also included a picture of the back, so you can see how my "self-constructed backing fabric" turned out. I'm quite pleased with the results. This will go to guild on Thursday for Hotel Hope.

In the next post I will talk about the applique I finished.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darlene said...

I'm really sorry to read that you and others in your family have been so ill. I hope everyone is now on the mend and feeling 'normal' again. My goodness, Patti, you've been busy, busy! I've been thinking a lot about how much I've missing doing my hand applique. I'm trying to get my stuff organized and get back to those long forgotten projects. I'm really excited about it.

Judy H. said...

I've also been sick for a while and doing mostly handwork. It's good for when you're not quite up to 'real work', isn't it? Feel better soon!

Carrie P. said...

I love the sashing on this quilt. If I move a certain way I see circles and then I see the lines making crosses. Very cool.

Sweet P said...

I'm glad to hear your feeling better. Being sick is no fun. You have been busy. All of your work is great.