Thursday, April 18, 2013

I think I will start over . . . maybe . . .

Please help me decide!

I am not happy with the way my Hat Trick is progressing.  As before, I find using just one line of fabric in a quilt results in "too much sameness" for my comfort.  The only darks in the collection are brown.  I need a darker green and a darker red.  Neither exist in this collection.  I will probably see what I can pull from my stash to solve the problem, but I just might start over completely using 30's fabrics instead of these.


Interesting - wait a minute - now that I've taken the picture I think I will persevere longer.  Obviously these blocks need rearranging - even though I've done that at least a few times already - but there is more contrast than I thought there was.

What do you readers think?  Are you liking this so far?  Should I keep going or start over?


Rearranged again.  This is better but not great.  Why didn't I take a picture of each arrangement before I changed things?  Live and learn . . . .  Maybe this is worth rescuing.

8 comments:

sewkalico said...

Keep going, remember your butterscotch quilt? I recall you weren't sure half way through with that one, but you loved it when it was finished...!

the ark said...

I like it and think that you have plenty of room to mix in some darker colors as it looks as though you are just getting started with this quilt. Those darker colors should be much easier to find after your big re-do!
Keep posting these glorious pictures!
Tricia

Pam said...

I like it, too! I see lots of contrast and I think that the colors are so pretty - but only you can decide if it's "doing it" for you :) I think that the other gals are right; keep going. Schnibbles are a pretty small investment of time and fabric so have some fun with it!

Vicki B said...

definitely pleasing to my eyes. Will be fun to 'audition' other fabrics to see what they add - and we know you have a few to choose from:0)

Carol said...

I do like this colorway and design of fabrics. I would not change to 30's at all (tho I do like them as well). As others have said, it has to be what YOU like. There are no quilt police! But I think it is really pretty.

Maureen said...

I like it, but I think you could certainly include some other darks if you wish. Sometimes I just lay blocks on the spare bed and change things around as I pass by, that gets me to liking it again.
Keep working on it or do something else for a day or so.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Don't want to stress you but I think I would add some more darks.

Dorothy said...

A little bit of cheddar might just give it the 'zing' you want.