Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Slowly . . . slowly . . . .

Another day of moving fabric, another evening of exhaustion.  Another evening hand quilting "Emma's Quilt" while watching the Seattle Mariners win their second baseball game.  I hope they can keep this winning streak going for several games!

Today I finished the blues - two large shelves and three small shelves.  No question about it - I don't need to buy more blue fabric.  I still plan to buy Jo Morton's new line but that will be the last blues to come into this house for some time.



I found more purple while sorting today.  Turns out one small shelf isn't enough. So purples are sharing the top shelf with the blues.  If I buy a bunch more purples in the next year or two I will have to use up more blues to make room for them.

I also sorted the plaids.  By color, no less.  Not an easy thing to do.  I finally gave up on some of them and created a stack for "multi-colored" plaids.  Three large shelves and three small shelves.  No more plaids will be coming in the house either - unless they are purple!


  

The browns are almost half done.  They will be the first thing I finish tomorrow.  I look at the fabric all over the surfaces in the room and  then tamp down panic - it sure looks like not all of it will fit.  And that may be true, as I added fabric that was in four different baskets under the cutting and ironing tables.  I've also taken out a bunch that I've stuck in two of the empty baskets - small pieces, ugly pieces, etc.  They will be cut into strips and squares ala Bonnie Hunter.

I've tried not to put anything I'll use often on the top shelves of the bookcases, as I need a stool to reach those.  They will include lots and lots of florals (remember Hoffman florals), brights, "autumn" themed fabric, holiday fabric and primitives.  The last I do use often, but only if I'm working on a primitive quilt.  In that case I'll just grab a stool and take down what I need for the day.

Still to come are reds (there are lots of those!) yellows, oranges, tans, creams whites and shirtings.  I ask you again - how did I get into this mess?

(Sending Kathie a huge thank you, because I will love this so much when it is all done.  I should be able to sew a lot more because the fabric I want will be easier to find.)

7 comments:

antique quilter said...

your welcome and I know now it is the best thing I have done for myself in a while . working on ufo's now so the closets will stay this way for awhile!
Kathie

Yvette said...

I am over here drooling again.

Pam said...

Woo-Hoo! Looking good, Patti! I've been enjoying all of your stash organizing posts. I did mine, too - took a day and a half - pitiful! Lol :)

regan said...

This is so awesome! Woohoo!

sewkalico said...

Wow, my stash pales in insignificance, but then I guess we all have the stash we can cope with! Don't be disheartened, it will be great when it's done and as I always tell my boys: 'slow and steady wins the race!'

Stephanie said...

Lookin' really, really good! Keep on going! Soon you will be cruising down the easy side of the mountain. Loving your stash....

Carolyn said...

Looks great! Wish I was watching my Phillies win! How is my favorite former Phillie, Raul Ibanez doing this year? I miss him...